From 9th March 2019, doctor-led children’s services are changing and children’s inpatient services will no longer be delivered from the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

The changes mean that from this date:

  • A new Paediatric Assessment Unit (PAU) will be established at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital. The unit will operate seven days a week, and accept new admissions until 8pm. Services in the PAU will be provided by a full clinical team, led by Consultants.
  • The small minority of children at Royal Glamorgan Hospital who need to stay overnight will be transferred to Prince Charles Hospital or the Children’s Hospital for Wales in Cardiff.
  • Children who have a severe illness or injury will need to be taken to either Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend or the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff.
  • Minor injuries will continue to be seen and treated in the A&E at Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

What should I do if my child is ill once the changes are in place?

If you child is unwell and the symptoms cannot be managed by self-care at home or a pharmacist you should first contact your GP for advice.

If your child is unwell out of hours and it cannot wait until your surgery is open again then you should contact your GP Out of Hours service. The phone number for the Out of Hours GP service is 0300 1235060.

You can also contact NHS Direct for advice on 0845 4647 or visit

If on assessment your GP feels your child needs input from the paediatric team, this will be discussed by your GP with a paediatric consultant. If they need further assessment and it is during the opening hours of the PAU, they will be sent to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

If it is felt that your child would need overnight admission or it is out of hours then they will be referred to Prince Charles Hospital.

The majority of children sent to the PAU will be discharged home. However, if they need to stay in hospital, transport arrangements will be made.

What do I do if it is an emergency?

If your child is very unwell, for example is choking, unconscious, is seriously injured, has breathing difficulties or are having a seizure, please ring 999 and wait for an ambulance to arrive. The operator will provide you with advice and the ambulance will take your child to the most appropriate place for care and treatment.

If you need to take your child to hospital, go to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil, the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff or Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend, where there are services for all conditions.

The addresses for these hospitals are:

Prince Charles Hospital

Gurnos Road

Merthyr Tydfil

CF47 9DT


Princess of Wales Hospital

Coity Road


CF31 1RQ


University Hospital of Wales

Heath Park Way


CF14 4XW


If your child is seriously ill or injured, do not bring them to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

What do I do if my child has a minor injury?

Minor injuries include:

  • Fractures
  • Sprains
  • Dislocations
  • Minor burns
  • Insect, animal and human bites
  • Foreign bodies to eyes, ears and nose
  • Minor wounds, cuts and grazes
  • Minor back injuries

If your child has a minor injury, they can go to A&E at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital or Prince Charles Hospital.

They can also go to our Minor Injuries Units at Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda or Ysbyty Cwm Cynon, which are open from 9.30am to 4.30pm. Please ring ahead for YCR on 01443 444 075.

If my child needs to stay in hospital overnight, how will they be transferred?

For children who need to transfer to stay overnight in hospital we are planning to have a dedicated ambulance transfer service to support the Paediatric Assessment Unit (PAU) and our experience is that most parents will stay with them.

It’s important to remember that we have conducted two pilots for the PAU, and both found that the vast majority of children, because the consultant was there to see them straight away when they arrived, were able to be treated and discharged home without the need for an overnight stay.

My child has complex needs and has open access to the children’s ward. What does this mean for them?

Please do not worry if you have a child with complex needs who currently has open access to the ward at RGH. All families will have an individual care plan agreed.

For those who have open access, please always ring ahead before attending the ward.

Where can I find out more information?

If you have any questions, please speak to your healthcare professional or contact the Cwm Taf University Health Board communications team by emailing [email protected]