What we do
Pharmacy and Medicines Management is concerned with all aspects of treatment with medicines, including their supply and provision of expert health information and advice.
Our aim is to:
- Improve the health and well being of patients, the public and staff by promoting the safe, appropriate and cost effective use of medicines and related products.
- To prepare, dispense and issue, accurately and promptly, high quality, good value medicinal and related products.
- To ensure each patient receives the correct medicines for their condition, together with the relevant information needed to derive most benefit from them.
Who is it for?
These provide dispensing services for hospital inpatients and outpatients, as well as a ward-based clinical pharmacy service for inpatients.
A Medicines Information Centre for healthcare professionals is based at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital
As well as dispensing prescriptions, they also provide free of charge a range of other services such as health and lifestyle advice, safe disposal of unused or unwanted medicines, and prescription collection and delivery services.
They may also offer Medicines Use Reviews, Discharge Medicines Reviews, smoking cessation services, a common ailments service, an emergency contraception service, palliative care drugs supplies, needle exchange and supervised administration.
Please check with individual pharmacies to confirm which services they provide.
Can anyone use the service?
The service is available to all patients who require prescriptions dispensed or any of the other services provided by community pharmacies. The Medicines Information service is only available to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals.
Please refer to hospital dispensary information and individual community pharmacy information via links below. For out of hours community pharmacies please see additional hours and bank holiday rotas below for details.
What to expect
Pharmacy dispensaries are located at Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Prince Charles Hospital and Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda.
Hospital prescriptions issued in outpatient clinics must be dispensed in one of our hospital pharmacy dispensaries.
WP10(HP) prescriptions (green) should be taken to a community pharmacy for dispensing.
Community pharmacies are located throughout the Cwm Taf area. As well as dispensing WP10(HP) and GP prescriptions, they offer a wide range of services to provide support for the health and well being of the population.
For hospital dispensaries please refer to the information detailed here.
For individual community pharmacies please see community pharmacy section
Additional Hours and Bank Holiday Rotas
- Rhondda Cynon Taf Locality Additional Hours Rota 2017-2018
- Merthyr Tydfil Locality Additonal Hours Rota 2017-2018
- Bank Holiday Rota April to August 2017
- Christmas 2017 Opening Hours
- Spring/Summer Pharmacy Rota